For Carers and Families: Travel and Accessing the Community

October 12, 2023
Other helpful resources
By Kindred
15 720

Getting out and about in the community is an important aspect of life. However, families of children with disability can face many challenges when arranging outings, especially when it comes to travel and transport. 

In this resource, we will take you through some of the programs and supports your family may be able to access to help you and your child get out and about, and around in the community. And in some cases, may assist with the associated costs.

Accessing the Community

Companion Card, Service NSW

A Companion Card is for people with a significant and permanent disability. When a cardholder buys a ticket at selected venues and facilities around NSW, their carer or companion will be given a second ticket at no charge. 

The Master Locksmiths Access Key (MLAK) 

Is an initiative that allows people with disability access to dedicated public facilities, including facilities in National Parks and many Council municipalities, elevators at railway stations, the new Changing Places facilities throughout Australia, disabled toilets that are locked, and even the Liberty Swing. Please note a small fee applies in most states.

Hidden Disabilities Sunflower

A simple tool (in the form of a lanyard, wrist band or pin) to voluntarily share that you have a disability or condition that may not be immediately apparent – and that you may need a helping hand, understanding, or more time in shops on transport, or in public spaces.

Transport and Travel

Public Transport Concessions and Subsidies, Service NSW

Provides a wide range of concessions and subsidies to help with the cost of public transport. Children, students, pensioners and Companion Card holders are just some of the groups who are able to travel for a reduced fee.

The Taxi Transport Subsidy Scheme (TTSS), Service NSW

Supports NSW residents who are unable to use public transport because of a severe and permanent disability. If you are eligible, you may receive a subsidy on taxi fares.

Mobility Parking Scheme (MPS), Service NSW

The Mobility Parking Scheme provides parking concessions to people with a medical condition or disability that affects your mobility or vision. The permit lets you park in disability parking spaces. You can also park at no charge and for longer time periods in some parking areas. 

Qantas Carer Concession Card 

The Qantas Carer Concession Card is issued to people with significant support requirements who through a physical, sensory, intellectual, cognitive, or psychosocial disability are unable to travel on the aircraft without the full-time assistance of a carer.

Travel to School

Assisted School Travel (ASTP), Service NSW

If your child with a disability needs assistance to travel to school and you are unable to take them, you may be able to get support with travel through the Assisted School Travel Program.

Travel in Regional Areas

School Drive Subsidy, Transport NSW

Available in areas where there is limited or no public transport. The subsidy is intended to partly offset the cost of using a private vehicle to drive the eligible student all or part of the way to school.

Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTASS), Service NSW

IPTAAS may be able to give you financial assistance with your travel and accommodation expenses if you need to travel long distances for specialist medical treatment.  If you reside outside of NSW, search for similar programs in your state.

To learn more about the Financial Supports available to Carers and Families, visit our resource

Many of the services shared are NSW-based. If you reside outside of NSW, we recommend searching for similar schemes and programs in your state.


Copy to clipboard