Introduction to Emotion Coaching
“Emotion Coaching: One of the Most Important Parenting Practices in the History of the Universe”Dr. Christine Carter – University of California Berkley
Emotion Coaching is a technique that supports parents in helping their children to understand their emotions, learn why they occur, and how to better handle them.
It is an evidence-based parenting strategy supported with over 40 years of research. The research suggests that Emotion Coaching supports the development of happy, resilient and well-adjusted children. Emotional Intelligence is also a stronger predictor of future success than IQ.
On 25 June 2020, Melo & Kylie presented a webinar on an ‘Introduction to Emotion Coaching. In the webinar, they discussed:
- The five stages of Emotion Coaching
- The vital role we have as parents
- Identifying an awareness of our own emotional regulation
- The basic stages of brain development
- That it is the emotions that drive our child’s behaviour
Watch the webinar and learn why so many parents include Emotion Coaching in their toolkit of knowledge to bring out the very best in their children.
About the presenters:
Kylie Aekins is a mum to two neurodiverse children. Her family lives the day to day journey of what a medical and disability diagnosis means. She is an experienced Naturopath, Doula and Peer Facilitator of empowering parent and disability programs. She also mentors and supports families with evidence-based, child-led, strengths-focused, mindfulness & growth mindset approaches.
Melo Kalemkeridis is dad to two. His daughter Victoria has an intellectual disability. Melo is passionate about helping people be the best they can be. He’s particularly interested in assisting fathers to become a better parent, better partner and better person. Melo is a life coach, NLP practitioner, he runs a MyTime group for dads and facilitates a number of parenting programs.
Both Kylie and Melo are trained to facilitate emotion coaching programs and have first-hand experience using Emotion Coaching with their children.
Do you want to learn more about Emotion Coaching?
As promised here are a few program and resource suggestions Kylie and Melo have offered for you to look at to get an even deeper understanding of Emotion Coaching .
- Emotion Coaching – The Heart of Parenting, online program by The Gottman Institute
- Tuning into Kids Emotion Coaching program, online
- Brains = Behaviours eCourse by Allison Davies
- Resourcing Parents NSW – directory of parenting programs
- 123 Magic & Emotion Coaching, delivered by Melo
Books for parents
- Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child, Dr. John Gottman
- How to Talk so Kids will Listen, and Listen so kids will Talk, Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
- The Whole-Brain Child, Dr. Dan Siegel and Dr. Tina Payne Bryson
- The Strengths Switch, Dr. Lea Waters
- The Explosive Child, Dr. Ross Greene
Books for kids
- When I’m feeling…. series, by Trace Moroney
- Hey Warrior, by Karen Young
- All about feelings, by Felicity Brooks
- `Have you filled a bucket today & How full is your bucket?
- Allison Davies
- Big Life Journal
- The Gottman Institute
Do you have a resource to recommend? Share it in the comments below!
The response to Kylie and Melo’s webinar has been so great, we’ve asked them to return and share a snapshot into another key area of parenting, and simplify what is a sea of information out there to help us make better informed decisions for our own families.
Keep an eye on the ‘events’ page on our website or our Facebook page as we will share with you our next webinar “An Introduction into Secure Attachment”